Friday, January 16, 2009

The Outside Equation

The ongoing economic fallout would not have any effect on my decision of studying overseas, that I knew. Moreover, another friend was even more hopeful, considering that people equate the quality of education to the job scene it promises; but because the current job scene is fractured, it would only deter those people from applying, hence create lesser competition. He was particularly hopeful of the Indian subcontinent crowd following this rule.

But there will be another obvious development, as my cousin explained: Those already in the market, are very potential applicants; because this same low will convince them to take off a couple of years from their jobs, knowing that nothing significant would happen in the meanwhile - anything better than being caught in stagnation (stag-flation?). And what better time to change fate to those just fired from their jobs, knowing that its easier to push their resume into schools than companies at this time? So now all the market crowd with unfinished postgrad dreams would be in my competition as well. If I was pitting my hopes on a better-than-average-student resume, then these people even beat me there.
It is troubling.

No comments: