Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The chase

They make a run for their lives. After patiently watching the cat and mouse chase that seemed to be on the losing side for our cat, a well built young andhra guy who sadly found himself at the receiving end of some drunken foolery when a couple of youth smashed his car windscreen with their bottle of poison but who courageously decided to teach them a lesson (with a big L), I decide to give chase just for the kicks. I've never been in a chase before.without populating my head with any fears - like the unknown terrain of the unlit deserted dirt track ahead in this unknown town (quick fact: it had been under 24 hours of me in this city of hyderabad), or the sandals I was to be running in, or that I had no idea about what these two miscreants could turn out to be, or if they were carrying any weapons to surprise moi - my engine of legs powered by the fuel from my lungs picked steam, making ugly clapping noises on the track, thanks to the sandals. In the space of next few seconds I passed the great bulk of Parth, then our cat who despite the looks, build, and aggression of the usual hero had failed to take those miraculous 10ft strides to catch up with the bad guys and had now been trying to compensate for his speed by the tactic of screaming "chor... pakdo... chor...", one that was futile on this deserted stretch, then I crossed a guard peering from his guest house gates startled awake from his sleep by the commotion, then finally the prized head of my target - guy 2.

Guy 2 was a fool to not stop at my warnings. He had it coming. We both were at a challenge while our feet pumped out 100 kmph. My first attempt was blocked out, and I saw my phone with the flashlight on hit the ground. Still running, I took him down with my second challenge. Being drunk one can't act to smart but neither have the capacity to realize that. I threw him against the wall, he ended up on the ground. I simply held him pinned to the ground, violence isn't my forte. As soon as our cat made it there, we swapped possession of #2 and I ran for #1, against a background score of Andhra cussing and thuds and punches. Second guy had taken left from the crossroads another 80m ahead and disappeared. easiest guess was that he entered this vacant plot. I directed the policeman (cyberabad police) to this detail. Soon he walked out with guy #1 who had merely taken refuge behind an outhouse in the shrubs. The police van had been wise to have been coming from the opposite dir.

With the job done and the fun over, I walked back to our car to find the A eagerly waiting. "a jolly good show, my good sir," I exclaimed.

No comments: