Thursday, July 17, 2008

Sleep-Wake. Wake-Sleep.

Inverting the second half of my already-inverted daily cycle gave positive results. It essentially involves sleeping before being up for long hours, rather than being up for long hours before sleep. The whole event takes place nocturnally, the habit of which comes naturally to two people: today's youth who compensate for the banality of day, and the classic geek who scorns at the 'evil star' (sun) and prefers to spend time indoors and asleep.
The inversion was a surprise discovery, thanks to greater consumption of rajmah /beans (mediocre in preparation, but heavy nonetheless) and 'langda' variety of mangoes. The heaviness that arose was akin to a time warp. Details of the previous night remain sketchy - all I can recall is barely managing to store the leftovers in the fridge, and dumping myself on the bed to feel the agony of contention. I was watching something alongside my dinner, which I have lost track of. I was listening to Goldfrapp, no impression of which survives.

Waking up was a psychedelic experience. As my eyes struggled to open sometime in the night, I could see a glow emanating from where I lay, straight up. The ceiling is a featureless surface, so that faintest of lights gave my room the dimensions of space. I locked my eyes in a stare until it receded and involuntarily went back to sleep, only to wake up and find it there - again. The sleep took retreat slowly, and so did the dimensions of space. Turned out that glow was the backlight of my iPod. What tripped it repeatedly was my belly rubbing against the player as I rolled around.

And the slumber got me to blog after some gap. Good.

No comments: