Monday, March 09, 2009

Go See Tso

Today was spent making up my mind to visit the Tso family - the bunch of (remnant) lakes in a close cluster, lying in the the region of Zanskar/Leh, not far from the course of River Indus: Tso Kar, Startsapuk Tso, Thandsangkaru Tso/Kiagar Tso, Tso Moriri and the Kyun Tso. So far it's only wishful thinking, but if plans go through, it will sprout a halo of transcendence about me. Right now I'm thinking of my possible accomplices: there are a couple of friends who are all set for Leh, maybe I can flex their plans; there's a friend who will want to run away from the world for a couple of weeks come May, I'm assuming; and then there are some new candidates on the horizon, with whom I'm not that familiar with, but well aware of their unwavering passion for adventure.

Can you digest that the Tso Moriri is 30,000 acres in surface area? 3,333 of my (former) college compounds can fit into that! But in the name of fauna, there is mainly the Wild Ass, which, though a disappointing animal for all the other wealth our jungles offer, has been a favorite of mine since class VII, when our geography teacher - that hag - would tell us about the abundance of wild asses in the state of Gujarat. Yes I was that degenerate.

All these lakes are within 60km of linear trajectory, but as one is aware, that it comes to a few hundred kilometers of winding roads. Alternately, I wish I could trek all that distance, in the spirit of a wanderer. And then to add to the mystical part I'll have visits from the tree fairies on the nights when I'm out camping, and they will feed me berries and roasted venison. I hope they would give me a return air ticket from Leh as well, for I won't be having any energy left by the time I've seen it all.

ps: that reminds me to explore the occult in these ranges

No comments: