Tuesday, July 14, 2009

No respited

The night sky bears a rosy tint, one that is painted about by the clouds that promise rain. This isn't right...there is nothing rosy to speak about them - the weather has been harsh, the crops have shriveled, and the country is pressing my friend to press the govt to declare a drought. I have a friend who now refers to air-conditioned environs as "my land", everything else is "out there".

Delhi has stayed under clouds for the past couple of days; but we only had a brief spell of rain the previous morning - a morning on which I was woken up to the sight of a pigeon directly above me; it had found its way in, and was doing the balancing act on my delicate clothesline; the idiot panicked and took some time to find the exit that lay straight ahead. My second interaction for the day was with my bicycle downstairs, that I rode across the length and breadth of the campus, further on into the greens of Delhi Ridge. The next hour was spent along the serpentine lake (aka the death lake) on the bicycle watching monkey, peacock, mongoose, and snail families equally relishing the cool morning, and bumping into humans on blind turns. The snails made for a tough obstacle course along the route, but to my credit, I didn't crush any.

No respite, the overwhelming heat brings out overwhelming memories.

No comments: