Friday, November 02, 2012

Difficult fruit

If you ask me what the most difficult fruit is, I'm gonna say, straight off the bat, "Anaar" (pomegranate). The day before, I I finished one. Yesterday, while cleaning out my fridge, I found its purchase receipt, dated 19th August, 2012. That makes it 2 months and 13 days, but you could discount a couple, since I didn't immediately crack the pomegranate open. So, as it was, it took me 70 days to finish a single pomegranate, on and off in my eating routine. I'm perhaps the most conservative pomegranate eater in history of human civilization.

Mind you, I love this fruit, more so for its longevity - any lesser fruit would have been diseased by the first week itself, and sent me into the doctor's clinic.

Today, on a visit to Chandni Chowk, I got another one - a huge one. It weighed 400g on the scales, which was (almost) thrice that of the last pomegranate I finished, and cost me INR 50. It larger than the size of my fist. I shudder to think how long consuming this one would take. Handing it to those butchers whom I refer to as "others" could probably see it devoured in a single day. I could keep it as a showpiece, and in the meantime secretly nibble away its hidden half (which could last at least a month, if not more).

No comments: