Monday, November 05, 2012

Odd resurgent memories



This broke me out of my drowsy state (that is like a permanent feature soon as I engage myself in any office work).
For one, it starts with a panning shot of their camp-site, which featured the same Quechua T2 tent I've been eyeing for upcoming treks; just seeing Jeremy Clarkson next to it has me sold - but besides the man worship, the fact that he's huge makes me trust that the tent would be comfortable, if not luxury, at high altitudes. JC does complain about other stuff "my sleeping bag broke, my blanket was see through..." but I can do better than the BBC crew there.

And another, in that I could pinpoint their exact location in all the scenes. The roads beyond Manali, I know all! It starts with them waking up at a three-hut settlement called Dorni, midway Chhatru and Gramphoo. There's a beautiful Stupa (overlooking a death fall), and waterfalls abound on either face. See the other side of that milestone in my pic. There's also a second picture to add more cred.
The Top Gear team did the Spiti Valley, which is really cool, albeit the condition of their cars suggests torture.

Then they are seen winding up the Koksar-Rohtang La gatta loops.

Then, they take a pitstop at Kothi, a noveau-rich village 13km from Manali, where they invented a new form of cricket with the locals. Their impromptu playfield is the exact spot where me and D hitched a ride on bus (to take us beyond Rohtang) on our bike trip in 2007.

No comments: