Friday, June 17, 2011

reviewing nicorette

Nicorette: Doubles your chance to quit smoking
Nicorette: Doubles your chances to quit Nicorette.

Being experimental is in vogue. Loll your tongue around in your facial cavity (also popularly known as the mouth), and you might dig up some lost saliva housing the sensation of all those shitty restaurants you have been to, or the bland lemon sodas you forced down. Feel your hair for that shampoo (now with SuperShine TM)or the hair gel that you thought would have 50 people pressing the Like on Facebook.
On that same note I bought a packet of Nicorette gums - coated, mint, sugar-free, "for light smokers". Now, I don't smoke, so there's nothing to give up on... (it reminded me of the absurd situations in Catch-22) On that outlandish premise I locked down my free will, and paid INR 50 for a pack of mere 10 gums to find out what sticks.

Soon as I popped in my first gum, I resisted my will to live. What I thought would be mints turned to be much like that white chalky filling dentists do; it felt sticky, like it would take away the enamel of my teeth. I entered my building, struggling between punching myself on the face, and trying to keep my swagger in front of the folks in the parking lot.
Then began the ordeal of taste. It was tragic. These mints require a learning curve; the 'mint' flavor was not the same 'mint' of my Happydent Whites. I climbed up the stairs, struggling between punching my face again, and trying to keep my "I'm not tired doing these flight of stairs" face to the girls descending down. Spitting out wasn't an option; for if I couldn't be a man enough to pick up smoking, I could at least be one to quit.

Then I read the fine print: 2mg of Nicotine per tablet.
Nicotine is why people pick up smoking. It's the most addictive substance on the planet, more habit forming than any of the drugs one can do; its easier to give up your Heroin than Nicotine, it's that sticky.
Your average cigarette imparts you with 1mg of Nicotine. This one had twice of that, that too as direct consumption! And then the print "Recommended dosage: 10 to 12 gums daily. Not exceeding 24."... I knew what I was in for: Fill me with the nicotine dosage of 20 cigarettes everyday, and make me feel like I'm not missing out on the cigarettes. Altering my Nicotine channel is all that it's doing. It keeps you hooked to Nicotine, maybe all the more. For a non-addict like me, this stuff would be my initiation into Nicotine addiction. For those who did quit smoking (thanks to Nicorette!), the cigarettes go away, but the same urge remains; and when these overpriced gums run out, they run back to their cigarettes. What's worse? - the 2mg gums are for n00bs. The pro smokers are recommended the 4mg ones... which effectively give you the same nicotine as ~40 cigs a day.
What a scam!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i really like reading your blog..really inspiring...who are you???

vib.h.u said...

@Anonymous: intriguing that you wish to know about me under your cloak of anonymity (unless your name signifies inclusion into THE Anonymous, the hackers collective).

I suspect that you are of types who - while sitting in a toilet cubicle - shout out to your cubicle neighbor to share about him/herself, then just flush and walk away in complete anonymity.

Anonymous said...

hello
i see you as an anonymous too. The ability to communicate without identifying yourself is very liberating,yet it carries with it,lack of accountability.it liberates you to bombard strangers with spam or hurl insults with impunity,but trust me, none of these would justify my intention of commenting here.Still, if you insist,
i am Alex Wainwright from Texas studying literature.i believe you are an Indian,very impressed by your articles.

Anonymous said...

hello
the ability to communicate without identifying yourself is very liberating, yet it carries with it,lack of accountability.it liberates people to bombard strangers with spams or hurl insults with impunity.but none of these would satisfy my intentions to comment on your blog.
a passing thought says i should comment and know who you are but your churlish comment makes me doubt.
i suppose you are an indian.you write well.
i am Alex Jeorah Wainwright from Texas and studying literature.
goodluck.

vib.h.u said...

Hey Alex,
I am usually an epitome of civility, but the dissonance of bits moving in the cyberworld sometimes bring out my churlish best, too. Responding to you in sane words is much more appealing, now that I know that it wasn't some drifter just dicking about.

I am Vibhu (as my blog honestly says), and am mostly found in the Himalayan regions of India (when not laboring in the mugging heat of the Northern Plains). I travel a lot. Write a lot (or so I make myself believe). I also have started work after college to culture a healthy loathing for the conventional lifestyle.

I have a dislike for apostrophes and pigeons.

Hope that was adequate.

Anonymous said...

yeah,i appreciate it.
thanks.
reviewing your article on nicorette,i just want to say: it won't work unless you want to quit.
goodluck vibhu.