Sunday, May 11, 2008

Simplicity at a twisted level

You could be no more off the target if you like me for 'being simple'. Being simple is not a quality, its a curse. Just because I cannot match your levels of excitement, or be as dramatic, or fail to grasp the gravity of the situation does not make me very cool, does it? Makes me boring, to the contrary. Won't you rather like friends who will react to your situation in resonance to you? Maybe they get you better - as if they are an extension to yourself. I don't, far from it.

I consider myself a good listener. When I listen about things you have to say, I try to understand them. I try to form an opinion and communicate it back. My 'simple' side comes out when I am unable to do that. Passing something off as inconsequential or petty is my defense when I come across something I've been ignorant about. Just so that I don't look stupid. Well, that is what I am. Should not feel very shy in admitting that. Worse than those schmucks who are publically ridiculed for all their braindead doings. My 22 years of life, and all I can end up is looking simple. 'Blank' is a better synonym.

Being labeled simple is insulting. See myself in all complex ways - goldmine for a brain. I don't feel comfort at the simple undercurrent of tribal or carnatic music. I like music with weight - packed with instruments, packed with energy, packed with ambiguous lyrics and subtle references. I relish my tea with ginger and cardomom added. I even managed to read and comprehend Fountainhead, for God's sake! So when you say I give a 'simple' opinion, its directly at my nuts where you are kicking at - with lethal force.

PS: never again would I use references to 'The Fountainhead' this lightly

No comments: