Sunday, June 01, 2008

Nature Tends to Surprise

My favorite girlfriend - nature - doesn't follow the very maxims derived by observing her. Or so I believe because everything we know has been an experience she made us live through. I've been told that being prepared gets you the results. But nature is random. No preparation can make an interaction with her any more or less overwhelming. I can vouch for that from my past experiences; more recently this morning's. I have loosely documented the morning in my previous blogpost.

Being prepared can summon no reaction from nature, she likes to surprise you. She plays games with you and it rarely ends your way, rarely rewarding. Like that Dominique from Fountainhead, with some exceptions. Endless walks in tiger/leopard/bear/ghoral/kakar territory that I can recall ending futile - not even the sight of a single animal to gratify the boy uneasily clambering through some very dense forests. And then there are those who catch these animals while seated in automated boxes (aka cars). They didn't set out with the intentions of finding one, they didn't consult a forest ranger or inspect the faunal density maps. It just happens.
And then I get my share of the surprises sometimes as well. Like my first glimpse of a Kakar (barking deer) that I still fondly recall (that pic accompanying this post). And those couple of forest treks from January last year. Or just the day before, when I came across the most surprising of insect species while out looking for some of the larger mammals in the region. Will blog about it in a while.

Is it just the fauna that surprises? Don't think so. I'm sure the botanists will vouch for coming across some very surprising things from time to time. Theory doesn't help. Neither does practise, it only helps evade that which can cause inconvenience, not ensure the bounties.
God, don't feel very smart ending this for some reason.

No comments: