Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Stereotyping terror (like thats any news)

My facial hair configuration these days more closely matches that of the average crowd in Muslim-dominated area around Jama Masjid. Yes, its that cool. I hadn't yet faced any issues this far, besides the odd banter from friends and relatives alike about being a Muslim - I can guess how they got to it. But seeing the same retard inference mechanism work with the police of our state is what makes me feel dismal.

'twas just yesterday when I decided to leave for Gethia. Having only an hour at hand, things happen in great haste. Soon I am at the station, fatigue apparent, disheveled look. As I enter, this policeman at the gates eyes me, and instructs me not to proceed any further without a luggage check. He starts off on a rude note, quizzing me about my background, while rummaging through my items much like an irresponsible child, recklessly (and needlessly) scattering them about on his table.
Where I thought I'd got myself into a bit of trouble was when I replied to being a student, continuation to my old tradition that doesn't seem to peel away. Upon asking for a student ID proof, I realised that I couldn't produce any, and felt a tinge of nervousness. However I continued with handing over my driver's license which, too, wasn't in a very good shape. But what happened in its follow-up is what was shocking: he eyes the license, reads my name, and immediately loses his interest in my profile, asking me to wrap up my items and not bother showing the larger rucksack.

Perplexed, what I could imagine was that I qualified at being a non-muslim, which made things easy.
Had I been in a situation where Hindus, instead of Muslims, were being (wrongly) targeted for terror, I think I'd have botched it up pretty bad and landed in jail. And never would've had the change to blog this :|

No comments: