Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Want: psychedelia stamps

Well, countries have been proud of their hallucinogenic plants at times. Here, I can identify: Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, Chad (Republique du Tchad), Cuba, Poland, Switzerland (Helvetia is the female national personification of Switzerland, or "Helvetic Confederation"), Bermuda.

Pakistan, here, had its own dedication to Dhatura, a deliriant-poison plant. Dhatura is quite common in India as well (I believe they were in abundance during strolls in the fringes of SGNP in Mumbai), and I might be tempted to fill my pocket with a few seeds the next time I'm out messing myself among dense foliage.

Dhatura (genus Datura), is in fact, one of the most common psychoactive plant to be represented on world stamps. Here are some more (thx):


Japan (Nippon) feat. Seishu Hanaoka, a celebrated Edo-era doctor who prepared a general anesthetic, Tsusensan, using Datura as a base, and performed the first surgery under anesthetic in 1804.


Monaco

St. Helena, nicknamed Lady's Petticoat

Uganda

No comments: