Thursday, November 28, 2013

Prettiest 'lil thing I've seen in the wild

UPDATE: Fffffound! Thank you, Ted!


 This dates back to May. I was on my way out of the Makalu-Barun National Park, in Sankhuwasabha district of Nepal. This was the last day of our trekking - the next day was a rollercoaster tractor ride from Num, followed by aerial transportation (i.e. plane) the day following it from Tumlingtar. 

We (the mountaineer gang and I) had loaded up and breakfast, and started from Shedua, anticipating reaching Num by the afternoon. This day of trekking goes through some rich, low-altitude tropical forests (~800-1500m). With the rains being a regular company on this return leg, the moisture-laden forests were teeming with life. Butterflies, birds, and insects were frolicking all around as we trekked. I also came across the largest moth larva ever in my lifetime.

Temperatures swelling during the day necessiated taking frequent water breaks. It was on one such pit-stop, about an hour from Num, that Kru's - who had been walking alongside - eyes noticed this insect making its way across the trail.
She was puzzled. I went bonkers. Regardless of the knowledge of how all surviving insect species have some amazing adaptation, and design, and how it should be a general expectation, I was in glee, like a kid. This was the most beautiful that I'd come across.


Having my bottle as the only empty container, I didn't think twice employing it for storage. A gentle maneuver saw "it" in. The remaining way, I was engrossed in thoughts of  being an entomologist; if nothing, I should polish myself as a Coleopterist.

Luck struck again, when another one was found, almost halfway the distance to Num. No second thoughts in adding him to the collection. The intention wasn't to kill or carry it all the way back, but to merely photograph - my camera was outta battery, so I was, with the beetles in hand, on the trail of Dominique who was literally running on the trail on this last day.

Finally, upon reaching Num, wet from an untimely downpour, I dried myself, and then introduced these to the crowd. Then they were safely set free at the edge of the village.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sent you an email - this is a nymph in the family Tessaratomidae, perhaps in the genus Tessaratoma. Gorgeous creature!

vib.h.u said...

Hi Ted, thanks a ton..
as delightful as it is to trek through some of the best tropical forests, it's even better to do so with a knowledge of the species about. very fascinated about the changes through consecutive instars, and definitely plan to read more.