Monday, April 06, 2009

If I were an emperor to somewhere, I'd have declared it Holi (होली)- the festival of colors - today. It is pointless to associate any logic to it, for emperors are known to be whimsical; but on a personal note, my whim was fueled by the atmosphere today - hot, humid, partially clouded - and the staring faces on the balconies of homes, the children passing off menacing looks, that intangible emotion in puddles that warn you of an approaching water balloon, and _moreover_ that resurgent itch when you're holding water balloons, one in each of your hands. The streets were surely misleading today.

I had Mung (धुली हुई मूंग की दाल) stuck in my iPod's headphone jack today. It was a result of keeping both in the same pocket yesterday. A cause of embarrassment, but only to myself, for I had to make-do with street noises instead - defeated in their character. An all-pin and some brutal strokes inside the audio jack helped my iPod come back to life, but I'm sure there was some internal damage to the little child.

I knocked some coconut slices while alighting off a bus today; they fell into a tiny puddle on the roadside. The vendor had no abuses for me, had no botheration with my apology either; he just picked up the slices and rinsed them in the same water in which the other slices lay, and continued with his day. For a moment I couldn't decide whether to feel sad for myself or for the one who'd be buying that slice of coconut.

No comments: