Monday, September 21, 2009

That guy who's always looking at pictures of men

"What are you looking at?", asked a girl inquisitively. She had been annoyed/distracted by my engagement with scrolling through pictures of men on the office computer screen - shy, introvert men posing no different than how they would for their matrimony pictures, or on adultfriendfinder. It was a happy moment to see somebody taking an interest in my interests, but an awkward one because her interest was on a thought/assumption plane that could only project me as a deviant. I immediately rubbished her notions by questioning back if she knew any of the faces. She obviously didn't.
There might be either of the two explanations for this:
a. She has a life; I'm in a nutshell world of my own
b. I'm a cool geek who knows his heroes; she has a life

The men in question are the Superman of computer industry - Claude Shannon, Leonard Adleman, Phil Zimmerman...covered in an article on 60yrs of the cryptography. And it's not my fault if all the icons of the computer industry have been men. Ada Lovelace is the only girl I recall, but maybe she's too outdated to even be mentioned anymore.

On hindsight, maybe because there haven't been any sexual competition in the computer industry is why the dorky bunch TURNS OUT TO BE dorky. They can be and act free, on their own will, because they know that the future of their species won't be affected by any observations here (it's like a female harem - where the girls grow vivacious, social, expressive).
Everybody is at equal ease, in a state of Nirvana, only as long as they keep on mashing the keys and thinking in boolean.

No comments: