Friday, May 20, 2011

Somebody stole my Thursday

It’s a conspiracy. Days cannot just vanish. Just yesterday it was Wednesday, and today is Friday, as is being confirmed by several sources. Somebody stole my Thursday, it’s as simple as that. How surprising was it for me to be in the office on a Friday assuming that it was a regular Thursday, then being corrected at EOD - when I’d just thrown my EOD-farewell song of “I’ll resume with loathing you tomorrow” - that the weekend had come knocking instead. The moment was infuriating, I felt cheated, I felt less lived, it was a tragedy. “Days cannot just vanish,” I told myself, repeatedly, until the catastrophic dissonance of the birds at twilight broke my fixation on this single thought.

On my way home on the rickshaw, amid the bustle of the city, I pondered more over this strange occurrence. As it was, I found the concept of Daylight Savings to be insulting, and now I faced a meaty 24h gone missing. I counted the milestones that marked each of my days through the week – Monday in nothing much but licking through sites and more sites on outdoor travel, Tuesday getting to meet Anu, Wed in anticipation of meeting Anu who never turned up and me recklessly enjoying Top Gear instead. That’s all what happened in the 3 days previous to today. And yet today, Friday turns up.

I conversed with Shiv over this, for he might have had some legal guidance; he seemed momentarily engaged/convinced, but later retracted. I asked about the possibility of filing an FIR for my missing day, but he was dismissive about it, with absolute surety that the police won’t entertain it (damn, we need some insurance against such things, living itself is turning out to be a liability). Then I realized that Shiv probably had a part in this conspiracy as well, just like Yogesh, who had not replied to my investigations this far. Earlier in the day I had been surprised about Yogesh offering me refuge and Tennis in the middle of the week, but as it turns out he was considering things from the weekend’s perspective.

In the worst, I planned to pin posters of “Have you seen this Thursday somewhere?” all around the neighborhood, with a nice picture from one of my earlier Thursdays. They – the weekdays - must have some similarity, so that my Mondays could be identified distinctly from Thursdays – maybe something intangible on our faces, or something about the light, or some color in the day, or some social nexus that forms only on specific day of the week. What is the color of Monday? Who is Tuesday? When is Wednesday? Why is Thursday? Whose is Friday? How is Saturday? What biological life-form could mutate into Justin Bieber? All these questions filled my head.

Then it occurred to me that a space-time continuum tear might’ve occurred, and I had been one of the few pieces in this clockwork of humanity to have been left out of the resulting time shift. They would have to clone Einstein thrice to solve this in scientific and mathematical terms. But the fact was that I had been left behind by a whole day; that I will continue to live in others’ yesterdays; one day into your past, until my jump happens.

No comments: