Friday, January 08, 2010

Mohan Meakin in Lucknow

Revisiting this question at oddballs just reminded me that a week back, while taking a stroll through the Daliganj market (next door) in Lucknow, I came to an intersection, one of whose roads led to the Mohun Meakin factory.

With the name of Mohun Meakin still lingering in the head, probably after thinking hard and quitting on this question itself, and from my transitory glances at Old Monk bottle (whenever indulging in my alcohol research program), but not being able to connect, I asked my father about the legend. He began by explaining about their liquour business, then about the ownership - "they were a very rich family" (referring to the Father-in-law of Madan Lal, I guess) - and then somewhat awkwardly onto "the daughters were the talk of the town".

That last fact wouldn't come from any history books, heh.

UPDATE: N.N. Mohan was who bought all these factories across several Indian cities

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello! vib.h.u. My name is Daniel and I am an American student living in Delhi. I have questions about the bicycle club. Can I email you? Also, great music in your profile

vib.h.u said...

Hi Daniel, It's hard getting back to you since your profile is hidden. It's a tendency to want to learn more about somebody who likes one's taste in music. Would be glad to help you out; get in touch with me at

ivouhcnaqr NG tznvy QBG pbz
(copy-paste that text on http://www.rot13.com)