Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Ishqiya

People have a way of gaining press by pitching themselves on the opposite side of the morally, culturally correct image of the ideal person. So do movies. I remember catching on a trailer for Ishqiya (while in for Kaminey), and that trailer drills straight into your head with a dialogue coming from a 12-ish boy: "हमारे गाँव में बच्चे चुत्तड धोने से पहले बन्दूक चलाना सीखते हैं |" Besides the fact that I had dragged in both my 8 and 12-yr old nephews for watching Kaminey, a movie that was already rated A, to find them listening to such blunt words (and in all likeliness mimicking it later), it was unsettling to find a dialog with such a punch after a long time on the big screen. I'm sure that got many committed to totally watching it. "IM TOTALLY GONNA WATCH THIS FILM"

My latest update about the movie's controversial dialogues came from a renegade newspaper page that acts as the mat for my current ironing surface - that Ishqiya got reprimanded for a dialogue that goes : "नदी के तले हगेंगे, पीपल के तले पादेंगे|". It was changed to "नदी के तले खायेंगे, पीपल के तले पीयेंगे|"

Now there's a bigger bubble about the movie, and I'm surely booking my tickets.

ps: vidya balan and nasiruddin shah look smoking amazing in the promos

No comments: