Friday, January 01, 2010

same old same old

Teasing parents into the concept of a more liberal (ahem) society out there, the new form of relationships and social contracts would possibly have them seeing me in a new light. They would either assume that the society has really become like this, or that I have started thinking that way, or that I ACTUALLY do it that way, and am weaving a beautiful blanket of my world to wrap around them and have them accept me when my can of acts opens up. But where is the society really going? What norms will it establish?

It's/I'm too naive to generalise where our society is heading off to. The real people out there - who dont necessarily define the economic worth of a city, but do convey its true character - still seem the same old. The faces of markets rarely changes - unless there's money and tourists involved. The faces of public services rarely changes - unless there's a facade to put up with. The faces of how the smallest of businesses run, and how the smallest of individuals make their living rarely changes - its still fucking 20kg bricks and a hammer for the unskilled labourer (who, ideally shouldnt stay unskilled with so many govt schemes around). The faces of fashion rarely changes - though all the 'independent' doing/thinking does seem to have wrapped denim on a greater percentage of the girls.
I guess I kinda generalised how I saw Lucknow to how I see every other (small) city, but they all still give the same kind of vibe, we just have to wait long enough.

No comments: