Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Book nerd day

I'll dearly cling to my love of books; cruisin' and readin' as I go around the city, which would eliminate that need to read into the blank stares, to "THINK" about humanity (or why it shouldn't be), and the epitomes of un-health crowding around moi. This was no more evident than today, as I finished Slaughterhouse 5 while making a roundtrip to the fringes of Delhi, to a horrible university called I.P.U. (re)located in barrenness of Dwarka. I focused, firstly, on acquiring a seat, and then entirely into the text. To be proud, I went through a meaty part of it today, to finally end the book halfway into my return journey. The book was amazing. My love for Vonnegut grows with each kicker of a line of his - I could get dehydrated just underlining all those passages and piths in this tiny novel that managed to stimulate some intelligent lobe of the mind.

Books of varied genre make my new sarvashiksha abhiyaan curriculum. Digressing into the subject of my education, I'd like to report that I failed miserably in the Stanford U online courses that I'd subscribed to (one of which, coincidentally sees a deadline today, but I'm least bothered). I also am on the verge of another failure into application process for 2013 studies. So there, my book genres and online "karts" are the ones to recourse to.

In the heat of moment, I placed my order for 3 different books from 3 different online retailers (Indiaplaza, Infibeam, and Flipkart - in that same sequence). With the free shipping each offers, the price point was the sole criteria, and I have to say that there's no single place for the best deals. Look how easy allegiances change - I never thought (since 2008) I'd ever need to look outside Flipkart for books.

Of the three books, one is (of course it hadda be) KV. Bluebeard. KV is what I now call my schooling in postmodernism (and everything wise about the universe).

Curiosity got the better of me, which is why I ordered the second book, Serious Men, by Manu Joseph. I think Aaranyam Kaandam, a Tamil movie I saw last year, would have subliminally influenced me to perceive this book in a positive light. Each year I end up trying one Indian author, and ending up scarred - they write horrible. Let's hope this one will be better.

As for the third book... Would you be surprised if someone loved a book to the extent of ordering it for the fourth time? Well, I did.
After giving away my first copy to a friend who featured in an elaborate dream in the context of the book, the second one to my uncle, and leaving the third copy in a cafe, this fourth one I'm probably gonna foist, firstly, upon my office reception desk, and later perhaps, pass it to the bride/groom at one of the few weddings I'm going to attend this season (just imagine the hilarity in case it ends ruining a honeymoon). I'm not telling you which book it is.

So it goes. Gah, KV has turned me into a cliche man.

No comments: