Sunday, December 02, 2012

getting a hang of the trekkies

Fought the ganda-wala Dilli ka traffic on my humble bike - weaving in and outta grid of metal boxes of quadruple to centuple the dimensions of the bike, accelerating and braking constantly, switching from the tarmac to the footpaths to the service lanes, jumping traffic signals, keeping the urge to blurt out 'bhenchods' to the ignorant motorists at bay - to catch a presentation at the IHC. That presentation was of a unique nature - a high altitude trek; one that marked a first, of a civilian team making it from the Nelang Valley to the Saraswati Valley through Basisi Col. High altitude, mountaineering expedition, and civilians; this one had a lot for me, and gave me a break from the ongoing Shahi Paneer and Butter Chicken marathon at home (my tummy would also be thankful).

Made it to the Gulmohar Hall, a bit late - lemme put it this way, that when I started climbing the Safdarjung flyover, these guys started climbing from Gangotri; when I was huffing past the decorated facade of the Islamic Cultural Center, these guys were huffing on some moderate slopes towards their Day 3 basecamp; when I made it into the hall, these guys were on Day 3. Quick them, quicker me. The hall was packed. I found the last unoccupied seat, backbencher as always.

Their presentation was in the form of a movie. The movie itself was a scrappy deal - all the while I was thinking of the shortfall in technicalities that could've been overcome. That aside, the presentation as a whole, put the route and the team in good perspective. The Basisi Glacier coming into view was breathtaking, the money shot, I'd say. A Q&A session followed, which seemed a worthy addition to the movie. One exhilarating aspect was how these guys used 'jugaad' of Google Earth for their route planning and map requirements - stitching together screenshots to make larger scale prints, and even capturing their marked route on camera before leaving. A surprising aspect of it was to learn the level of novice involved here, one even I felt I could match (imagine that one in their team was trekking after 8 years). What was sad was to see that their greatest skill in the whole project was gaining permissions from various SDMs and other departments, a lengthy and dirty process of recommendations through long chains of friendship.

No comments: