Monday, July 29, 2013

Trail diary: Flash flood on the Makalu BC trail



It's 16 past 01 [1316PM]... and I've been having a really, really misadventurous time for the past 20 minutes. The skies opened up, and now... I have nowhere to go.
Kongma, is, I guess, another hour ahead, and the last habitation - where I had my tea - is half an hour downhill. But I can't even go downhill for, like, 5 minutes; or I risk getting all of myself wet... which I slowly am getting, since I have no place for shelter. 

Right now I'm under the tiny canopy of a rhododendron tree. The water slowly creeps in, onto my jacket, which acts as a sponge, which is now saturated. Now the water is making its way through the jacket, and to my body. I'm wet, and I'm cold. The chill is starting to set in... 

My bag is completely wet. All the waterproofing that could save it, would save the middle compartment, at best, but the top compartment and the lower compartment - which had my jeans and my jacket,- is also gone. One jacket - that I'm wearing - is completely drenched. The other one, that was in the lower compartment, should be completely drenched by the end of this rain. I don't know how long it goes, but this is a real stressor for me. When, I get to Kongma today, I don't know what I'll be have to wear for the evening, so forget about tomorrow. The water still creeps in. 

I don't know what's gonna happen to the contents of my smaller bag. I hope my electronics don't go kaput. I hope I don't go kaput. This rain could go on for hours. The whole trail is flooded with water, so I had to run my way down [downhill] to the rhododendron thicket, and take shelter here. So my plans of Kalo Pokhari are definitely out. Right now the plan is to reach some shelter, or even some rocky outcrop, to assess the damage done. 

Let's see how it goes. Over and out.

No comments: