Friday, July 12, 2013

Updates from Uttarkashi

Seems like I need all the outdoor gear in at least a smaller showroom, because
1. Otherwise I'll steal, or worse, borrow
2. Because i'm not leaving this passion any sooner

Here in Uttarkashi, days are like a discovery. Each comes with its highs - lows are only the time that i'm sleeping, but even in that i'm dreaming strange things - like polar bears and people crashing scooters - as well. I could wax lyrical, but one will think I'm mad.

It is raining really hard right now. They just started, and it doesn't look like stopping. In 3 hours, we are to be starting off on the trek to Bhatwari village, which is where we - yogi and I, - in November last year, changed the mode of transit for our Dayara misadventure. I shall be in plenty of mud for sure, and maybe even a rockslip or two. It shouldn't be a surprise, right? After all, the entropy is ever-increasing in the universe.

We are presently operating from Gyalsu, a village 2 km from the town. The last  that we visited the town, we were hosted at Shivling Hotel, by one girl Arunima. She is the first female amputee, internationally, to scale the Everest, which she did just a few months back, a mere year from losing her leg after being pushed off a moving train. Her story is amazing, more so to hear from her own person, and to see the political and social movement these guys are going to turn the sport of mountaineering into. No wonder she has a 350cr movie deal from Hollywood upcoming! Good news for those who toil.

I finally had to get a new boonie hat and Chinese goggles, as my efficient packing and restricted thinking led me to leave the ones I love back at home like a graveflower; but the goggles will look good on me. Days on the trail will be challenging, and at the same time unpredictable, so I'm happy with conveniences that I won't mind losing or accidentally destroying.

These mountain heads are a average breed at conversations. I can't keep up with them. It is not suitable to my participation, so I guess I'm the only one not having fun. Not complaining, but I wish silence dominates so just the roar of the river could dominate the aural-scape. But I can't tell how tangible I feel the word "complete" in their proximity. [see also, adj. forms of "ambition", "gusto", "discipline", "freedom"]. These people can help make psychological breakthroughs when kept under observation.
I just hope by the end of this trip, I'm not making such perverse observations.

No comments: