Monday, July 08, 2013

Helping Uttarakhand

Just finished with a half of each - chocolate brownie, chocolate eclairs, chocolate tart, mango tart, and velvet cake (the velvet crumbs still cling to lips). My bakery raid ended well. And I even rode the Godiva, on the roads of Delhi, near midnight, to rediscover the love with my primera amor. The day around it was no less indulgent, but the details are lost in translation into text, so I won't enlist them all.  I could be off to a serene sleep. Only if..

Come the morning (which is in another hour and a half) and I'll be out to something ridiculous, courageous, risky, considerate, and - as I see it - appropriate. Yes, on the road again. Or to be technical, off the road, this time. It will be another first-of-its-kind experience, in tradition to the advance of year 2013AD.
In another 11 hours I should be in Rishikesh. In another 34, in Uttarkashi. I'll be a part of the team of some awesome "adventurists" who are dedicating themselves to the relief work in aftermath of the Uttarakhand disaster.
Besides those who died a quick death in the flash floods in the Kedarnath region, there are a fifty times more that are dying a slow one in other parts of Uttarakhand, like in the remote reaches of districts like Uttarkashi, where farm lands have been scooped away and the roads are a once-existed fact. It is these villages that we're helping.

If I were ever corralled into giving an interview by some on-site reporter, then I'll make a claim of how I know this region - having, coincidentally, done a couple of more hardcore/memorable treks of my life in this same region - and have a fond association with its people, coz of which an inner voice calls me back to pay my dues. I'll probably end with a line like "it is time to give back". I'd be hiding the reality that I didn't grow fond of the locals on these treks, even desperately trying to evade some who had business ends to met through a prospective conduit of ours. And the familiarity aspect is also humbug - nary did I take the lesser treaded path, or follow a spoor to its owner into the woods, so, effectively, my expertise is of knowing trails that aren't there anymore, and not of the character of these mountains.

To give the exact reason why I'll be there is hard for me. As per Richard Dawkins, philanthropy is a misdirected form of a primitive survival instinct, that works out an optimal profit making strategy; since the phenomenon of me and profits have never been observed simultaneously, I don't think I'm in it for any gains.  Really, then, what am I in for?

No comments: