Friday, December 18, 2009

The Ferrari owner who was reduced to a monk

The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari is a really helpful book - it helped me pin down exactly what 'ovverrated piece of hyperbole' means. Its hard to believe that Robin Sharma sells. My instincts hinted at something banal as soon as Mr. Success left all his material possessions and flew to India to 'heal'.

My great virtue of patience took me through the entire book - hey, I dont expect miracles, but do expect some redeeming feature in a book that has been on so many bestseller lists. Friends all along confirmed that they were either advised against reading it, or themselves left the book midway - they could've never been more accurate.
I'd really want to file a case against the author for just taking some general book on Indian spirituality and Hindu/Buddhist idealism and masking it as a conversation between two white men.
If this book were walking down the street, I wish it were run over by a truck.

One part of why I found everything in there so intimidating was that spirituality has a much bigger context than than this layman's how-to. Having traveled to several places that are popular on the spirituality/religion map (though solely in the name of travel) it is easy to confirm that the 'higher dimension' that the book speaks of is excessive simplification and alteration. This book only mystifies YOUR LIFE.

No comments: