Thursday, December 08, 2011

Sea Squirts!

I cycled really early in the morning. It wasn't too cold - I believe the likes of Ponds, Vaseline, and Boroplus will be annoyed at that fact, and presently forming some covert coalition to make the air dry. The traffic was an iota more in volume, and an iota less in discipline than I expected, but nonetheless manageable (as in i-can-listen-and-sway-to-velvet-underground-while-admiring-the-sunrise manageable).

I was on a self-appointed mission today.
Its conception goes back 4 days to the Sunday, when I, in the company of my really sexy girlfriends (yes, plurii), enroute to a friend's sis' wedding - one whose monologues once orbited only two words: 'vibhu' and 'love' - laid eyes upon this screaming cultural artifact amidst the bustle of Paharganj, and decided to return some day to fully absorb it. [Well, most of it is true, besides the girlfriend(s) part, and the hyphenated digression. But do you really need to pick on things when I'm on a mission here?! ... jeez... so...] My escape from the luxuriant trapping of the mink blanket had got me delayed (a 0635 departure, while the idealist inside me wanted 0615) which meant that my window of return shifted beyond the dreaded 8AM frame, but despite that, I was prepared to go all the way, and take the primitive Delhi traffic, consumed with the fear (and thereafter the guilt) of missing out on the spectacle that I just had to keep for a memory. I was lazy on Monday, unwilling on Tuesday, and lazy again on Wednesday; so today had to be it.

Got to Paharganj by 0730. Much to my relief, the aforementioned cultural artifact was still there, erect, menacingly surveying the sleepy junta of Old Delhi, threatening to stomp their tiny existence.


Seems like T-Rex was visiting India and decided to do a little modeling. Ryan North would be so, uh, proud?

This hoarding here is awesome, ironic, and hilarious.

Awesome for the obvious reasons. Planet Qwantz would love it.

Ironic because it speaks against the foreign investments in India that will, likely, unjustly crush the traders, and about going Anti-Walmart. Yet Mr. Designer here decided to use an artwork of a Canadian artist, lifted off the internet for free (who cares about copyright, right?). Way to be just. Or maybe he just loved the tee to obsession.

Hilarious, because those goony men showing teeth look more menacing on the hoarding than our favorite T-Rex here. I wish Utahraptor could join in.

No comments: