Monday, July 02, 2012

The Hindu : Committed patriot of the Indian jungle

"The identity of a country depended not so much on its mutable human culture as on its geomorphology, flora and fauna, its natural basis." - M. Krishnan

The Hindu : Opinion / Op-Ed : Committed patriot of the Indian jungle

Said M.K. Gandhi: "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members."
Even though the above quote seems inspired from it, let us not forget guys like M. Krishnan, who were one step closer towards my personal idol.

Speaking of personal, having Krishnan's 100th anniversary coincide with the dream I woke up to is quite shaking -

... I start to set the steam, starting with venerating kisses on her thighs and leg, taking her stocking off in the process. To my amusement, her face suddenly turns pale, and her mouth open, as if she's trying to scream. I assume she's a bit mental and try consoling her. Her eyes are fixed on something, her face contorted in a look of terror that I find so alien for this moment. She limply raises a hand to point to the doorway.
I turn around, to find a black panther sitting, wide-eyed. The door he must've come in from, is now blocked, and even the animal seems confused in planning its escape. It settles to the right edge of the bed, a mere few feet from us, crouched, snarling.

I don't panic, and stand up on the bed. I'm instructing P to be calm and move to far end of the bed, but she's too scared to do anything.
I repeat myself loudly. The panther replies with a threatening growl. It then jumps onto a table at the far end in its own panic. I try shifting to a position where I could have access to the door, but the panther has some ideas of its own - trying to reach for the door, it skirts the edge of our bed, where it gets tangled in the same blanket that P is under.

Drama ensues. Shrieks and growls fill the room. I give blanket a tight shrug which not only makes the panicked feline spring itself free, and back onto the table, growling, but also gives me a chance to access the door. I carefully open the door. After anxious few seconds, the panther is driven out.
I follow the feline to the hallway, where I find a full-grown deer (बारासिंघा) startled by the sight of a predator scurrying past, and darts off opposite to the direction the panther went in ...

No comments: