Tuesday, September 13, 2011

not so hero types

The best compliment of the day came from my neighbor, a film school student who just moved in next door, as we were dangling from parallel bars in the park: "Main toh apni film mein aapko hero loonga". Of course he couldn't see the size of my inflated pride at that moment in the dark. I complimented him back with a "Main toh tumhein lene ki soch raha thaa" ;)
He was apparently fascinated by my (trifling) aspect of physical well-being, when he, himself having played cricket for MP state (that's a fuckin' big deal, btw), was bloating up from the side-effects of the urban lifestyle, and finding it difficult to maintain a prized girlfriend. We returned back home after a minor drama of him losing his cellphone in the grass somewhere.

Then came a moment that rekindled my faith in dying from unforeseen consequences someday - like a Dilli auntyjee finding me obscene, or a mountain goat running me off some cliff, or a mobile tower falling on my head, or a pressure cooker's whistle/cap/nozzle popping a hole through my head (think on the lines of Tarantino here) - when a harmless apple corer went lethal on me and almost took one of my digits off.
Then something worse, when I returned from the kitchen to find that my Australian Aborigine Boomerang had a fall from its pedestal 10 feet on the wall, and had one end chipped off. Sorry blackrat, who hath giveth me this. Sorry the gods of aerodynamics who were to see it whizzing over Delhi skies someday.
Then I left home foraging for a pile of bananas, to return back empty-handed, to find that my brewed tea had turned cold due to the longer-than-anticipated excursion.

Before I reheat the tea (that's screwed anyways), will comment on my latest acquisition - the Skullcandy Pipe Rasta. Its beautiful, though flimsier than what I'd expected. It sounds okay, but not as good as the JBL portables (that went bonkers with bass ca. 2010). Very light. Very convenient to carry. Very posh, especially during a discussion of the Bohr's Conjecture of Hyperspatial Consonance. Life affirming stuff.
The first thing I tried, when I had not connected it proper, was The Heavy's "How You Like Me Now" that didn't sound right; then later when I did accomplish the task of inserting the Line-In cable with great precision, it was Masayoshi Yamazaki's "One more time, One more chance" - which filled my room with nostalgia for a few minutes and made me forget my informal review.
Then came an official review of the sound over Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings", which didn't move me to tears as it would over a great pair of 'phones. Maybe it was the whirring of the fan to blame.
Anyways, now that I have this, I am capable of maybe striking a conversation with this friend of mine (let's call him 'shyap, or guile) who only keeps in touch over his new gadgets. guile also likes to brag over firmware hacks. guile would be replying with a "Oh, cool" for once.

No comments: