Friday, April 12, 2013

A Train Journey log


xx:xx - Running out of the office in haste. Didn’t even check the time.
xx:xx – Auto to my GF apartment… I have comfy time now.
xx:xx – Almirah locked. Where are the keys? Gotta iron my clothes, too.
18:15 - Still have time
18:30 - Clothes done. Hurry.
18:45 – Bags packed, all set for Indore. I’ll be making a straight-to-office re-entry in this city.
18:50 – Onboard a rick to Jogeshwari Stn
19:00 – A mere 100 mts covered in 10 minutes… nervous
19:10 – @Jogeshwari. My proposed shortcut worked. Cost 20 bucks.
19:15 – I miss the Mumbai “local” by a few seconds. Damn.
19:20 – The next one arrives, crammed. Jostling, fighting, nostrils, squeaks. What are these people rushing for?
19:30 - @Goregaon… the fella in front of me has been punched twice in the periodic commuter stampede.
19:35 - @Kandivali; the guy in front finally got down, just hope it wasn’t coz he was repeatedly getting punched in the face. Now it’s my turn to face the punches. I shield my face as everything around me suddenly compresses which is a sign of more people jostling at the door to get in.
19:40 - @Borivali! I wonder if the train’s left… As a policeman tells me, it hasn’t. Goto PF4.
19:55 – Train arrives. I’m already standing next to the right coach, S3.
20:00 – Some guy needlessly fighting with me over the seat. I’ve held my camp.
20:10 – General chitchat. The train should be in Jaipur by tomorrow morning. I’m off to Indore! Wait, what?
20:15 – It is confirmed; I’m on the wrong train!! See me in Jaipur by tomorrow morning. Surprise bvttseks.
20:20 – I consul my neighbors…  Surat, which comes next, in a coupla hours, is a common junction for both - my wrong train and my right train. Some relief.
20:25 – The ticket inspector arrives. I sneak away, to idle time near the toilet. New skill: “Evade” unlocked! I notice that the faucet is broken and want to complain, but can’t.
20:30 – My cabin is taken over by 3 drunk men. They open up their canteen, peel cucumbers right there, pour out mutton and some veg dish, and whiskey. Looks like the Army.
20:40 – I befriend a young Indian Army officer. He seems most sensible of these guys. Affable, actually.
21:00 – The drunk officers had a great feast, and even forced their dinner upon a father and son duo. The officers disperse into the respective cabins, but for one.
22:00 – The drunk officer in our cabin starts to masturbate. He think he’s invisible.
22:10 – His organ still plays hide-and-seek with the innocent occupants of our bogey. There’s a Muslim couple as well, the lady in traditional Burqa, and I wonder how much of a shock fest this makes for em.
22:15 – Fondle, smell, spit, fondle, switch position.
22:16 – The officer seems bothered by my observation, and asks me, pointing to the lights that were just turned off, “Won’t you sleep, too?”
22:20 – Anubha calling me, but I can’t pick up. I’m on a rattling train passing through sleepy Gujarat villages, among sleepy people in the bogey, and that is when she calls! Bad coincidence.
22:45 – Surat now. The station is built on an elevated patch, so you alight staring into shiny hoardings.
23:00 – My train has come; the right one this time. Getting in.
23:15 – The ticket inspector was generous to find me a replacement seat. I’m on S2/8. His scribble on my ticket: “Pass boarded from ST allotted B.No. 7”
23:18 – Getting through any night – good or bad – comes as a beautiful experience. I’m a traveler to the core. Good.

No comments: