Wednesday, April 03, 2013

rock the sweeper


A rare challenge that I took up. 500 bucks.
It all started with a "It is impossible to do this inside 50," that bro remarked when toying with Minesweeper on the PC. At that same time I was busy with the same on my Tab, consistently maintaining a sub-60 average, and breaking my day's personal bests on successive tries. So I took it up as a challenge.

Laboring, almost 3 hours into it, but finally got there. Carpal tunnel and 19/20 eyesight could be the side effects. Problem with playing Minesweeper on the PC is
1) Microsoft has, again, as to its reputation, ruined a cool game. It was all good with the simple graphics. Now we get flashing stuff and distracting gradients on everything.
2) There's apparently an option to replay each level. So it was that the first 15 minutes I was basically trying at the same grid, and wondering how it could match all the previous grids, and yet not be so, as the generation rules dictate.
3) Minesweeper on the PC v Minesweeper on an touch interface is multitudes of difference. I love the latter now. It is hard to point-and-click at such speed (anymore). I have a 35 second best on the Tab.

No comments: