Monday, September 27, 2004

Crashed and Trashed: Exclusive Online Review of my Fresher's Party

I, along with a friend reached Hotel Ashoka, one of the best 5 star hotels in city for our Fresher's Party. My friend had come in his best clothing which he bought esp for the event - embroidered kurta and payjamas. Me was in simple Shirt&Jeans. I don't care abt my looks that much.

After the usual alcohol and cigarette checkup we were allowed to go inside. And then my friend found there was no use for his attire. Inside was all dark and humid with kids rocking the floors to DJ's music. I first thought we were being caged. I went totally blind bcoz of sudden change of light level. They my eyes adjusted. Met my friends who were already dripping sweat.

The floor was all crowded. There was very little place to move to the groove. Somehow ppl had to crawl among the long line of rocking bodies.
Worst thing was: the music had little pace. The DJ playing it was a poor one. He not only was playing complete tracks, but he wasn't putting any beats or changing the tempo of the songs either. Apart from that music selection was awful. Only crappy Hindi remixes and Punjabi. The DJs that came in my former college's party were much better (read prev posts).

And folks were still shaking like it was a miraculous place to be. I can't digest how they could, first of all, dance in that small area esp when music's so slow, secondly, how could they like the same songs being played repetedly. Boring. They jumped in the air shouting violently whenver a Punjabi song began, you know, the usual "ting-a-ding-a-ting-a-ding-a" tune, trademark of all thats Punjabi.

I sat dormant for a long time, just gazing at fellas knockin themselves tired. Many friends asked me to join them but I told them that it wasn't fast enough. Really. I did feel that way. Frustrated, I approached the DJ and asked him to play some Prodigy, Chem Bros or Oakenfold. He said thats for later. I gave him the grumpy look and went back. You're supposed to build the tempo at beginning, not when everybody is tired and wanting to go home. After some time, I told myself: "lower your imaginary standards and go out there and rock." So I did for abt half hour.

And when 2 hrs were left, and I was sitting in corner gobbling up pizzas and sipping cold drinks, thinking about the trance I'd be in when my favourite music will be played, the music stopped. The lights came on. Everyone complained that they wanted more. Then came the newsflash that one of the seniors had harassed the hostess and assaulted a guard and then ran away. Apparently that became a big issue and Hotel Manager and Commissioner of Police were called. The hall was emptied. The seniors felt sorry and apologized to us for all that had happened. Then the silence. And then it was bye-bye for us.

I became really violent at the end for I hadn't had any fun. Everybody felt like killing the bastard who ruined it all for us. For me, it was 250 bucks gone in the drain. Better luck next life.

No comments: