Thursday, September 23, 2004

Realising the (rock-bottom) standards of people

Took a day off from college to visit my old college, where an event to welcome the freshers was being held. The college, standing among top 5 in Delhi, promised to give me a good time-out from engineering studies. Moreover it had been a while since I met my friends, and passed those dreamy looks to a couple of had-been flames of mine (thier looks would really freeze you).

Expecting to be rolling in fun, I arrived at the old institution and easily got in by showing my last year's I-card at the entrance. Preceded by the ritual cigarette-and-drug checkup, I made it towards the main area. I met my friends. I had a glimpse of some lovely faces around (polite way of saying "hoocie mamas"). Then I saw the preaparation for the event - many loudspeakers bunched to form a monster sound system - thats it. Some DJs were arranged for to play soul-pumping music.

And at about 1:15PM began the music. I think 3 or 4 diff DJ's had come. They were using an old DJ system to mix songs. And 4 medium-sized travel bags stuffed CDs accompanied them. By the looks i was expecting some redemption from boredom. They started out with some booming beats, really loud and then came their remixes. The remixes sounded like the dinner your mother prepares on weekdays: same dishes, different toppings and desserts. It was basically mashing together punjabi booms with pretty western/indian songs with a little twist in tempo, or addition of screeches, etc. So Lame. They played some of the songs over and over again driving me raving stark mad. My repeated efforts to get some oakenfold, chem bros, or prodigy playing went in vain.
But what topped the disgust list was the crowd. The college had arranged for a space nearly the size of two large rooms for the students to boogie. Now try to accomodate 500 students (minimum assumption) on that floor, and you'd find nobody gets even space to stand properly. And still people rocked as if it was the best they'll ever experience. Even though the songs were repeated, or unheard by many, they shrieked and jumped when music changed, like they knew the artists closely. You could spot my types in the crowd trying to fend off jerks bumping into them while moving their hands occasionally to announce that they can "get jiggy" too! I stayed back, just watched them from safe distance. One of my friends broke his nose when somebody from the crowd hit his face in the frenzy. Others were bored to death.

I am apalled at the level human forms of entertainment have come to.

No comments: