Wednesday, August 05, 2015

merosity verbosity


Stepping out at J, I notice the sickle stick at action, lopping off overhanging tree branches at the junction, keeping Delhi's favorite hangout of CP prim and away from any liability claims. Things are done pretty old school - sickles are put into similar use even in Indian villages.

I'm late yet again. Then I find my friend's gonna be late-r. My tendencies bring me to examine the trash, that is the cluster of freshly-pruned branches. My interests has gone into plant structures of late - merosity, whorls, and phylotaxy were found interesting, concepts that are easier and more interesting for someone of a mathematical bend, and no biological background. So there I was, outside SB, down on the pavement, examining branches.

those nodules were enticing
Small things get people talking. A middle-aged gentleman in red tee came up to me, and expressed curiosity in what I was upto. (I'd noticed him step out of his Indica with a curious eye). Since such reasons are incoherent and messy to explain, I faked by telling him it was for my coursework (generation algorithms must learn from plants, so biology is still a connected domain that could enter my discipline anyday). I did give him sane reasons for doing whatever I was, though. He seemed more moved than before. He gave a long introduction of how he had been very pro- person about plants, and nature in general. How he had moved to Ghaziabad, from a home in Moti Nagar that nobody wanted to give away, to nurse his ailing mother. I complimented him - genuinely - that his age seemed to fool people for the same reasons; and he, a 56-year-old, liked hearing that so much that he asked again, and I elaborated that he even betrayed a father's looks.

Then I got to hear about his son, something about my age, and into all random crap of the world, on professional terms! We had a lot in common - being Delhi-educated folks, IPU-worn folks (his was BVP), that had a lot of 'alternate' going. His son had stepped into politics, in a way, through dance, and organized flashdance-mobs for the now-ruling Aam Aadmi Party during their election campaign. 
He (son) was also a part of Greenpeace, which I have coincidentally been thinking of (a bit obsessively) in the past 3 days. Again felt it was a small world, indeed, a one where I am around, but maybe not tapped in.

No comments: