Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Nightly ghoom for food in Delhi

I had alighted at Anand Vihar from my 6 hour journey back: Gethia - Kathgodam - Delhi. Shiv was to pick me from Saket Metro, and we were to head to PVR for dinner. Hunger wasn't my priority - I was already bloated on preparations by IRCTC crew onboard Shatabdi.

As I climbed up the stairs at Saket stn, a redrafting of food plans transpired in my head. Shiv arrived, but instead of a minor loop that he expected, I drove out far, seemingly directionless.

To solve the situation of hunger, we first drove to USO house... closed. Then to Indira Market(?) in RKP to Al-Kauser... where they tried passing us the leftovers (a bastardization of Kathi rolls for INR540) which we refused. Then to another of Al-Kausers, the one behind Assam Bhawan for better (and cheaper) food, which I trusted would be open... closed. I realized it was a Tuesday, when the meat becomes a sacred entity for a day in the name of a God, and Delhi doesn't eat out.

Then we changed directions to South Campus, the hotbed of student crowd, which surely would have some late-night eateries... all closed, merely minutes prior to our arrival. Its hard to believe that there is no option for the nightly (to say, it wasn't even midnight) mobile crowd in Delhi (or whatever large tract we covered). Delhi really sucks. I had an innocent assumption that even outside of our originally planned destination, we could find food. Blame it on my concern that I wanted to put freshly-prepared warm food on table at my friend's place, which was a part of the redrafted plan.

Driving a bit ahead, we found a yogurt shop with lights on, which turned out to be open. Something, finally. We had a coupla’ bowls of yogurt (priced so extravagantly for the college crowd - and even for a working professional like moi - that I can’t believe this business still sustains in this locality). Yogurt isn't a meal, but sadly there was no other option. So, finally, the food that made it to the table was freezing cold anyways.

No comments: