Thursday, August 16, 2012

Spiti on the Rooftop

Set out cleaning my bike yesterday - to tend to its injuries after those 5 days of agony in the distant tracts of Himachal the week before. After a late inspiration in the evening to do so, and finding my portable tube-lamp non-functional (damn you, Philips), I managed in the narrow white cone of my bike light. The Rohtang/Spiti dust was everywhere to see; I brushed away loads of it - from the tires, the spokes, the brakes, the chainring, the cassette, the derailleurs, and not to forget the frame itself. Clearly when the trip was over a week back, it wasn't really over.

There's still some more dismantling-and-cleaning to do. I already replaced the troublesome rear tube which expelled air faster than someone under the influence of Rajmah. There's the entire crankset-and-casette assembly to disassemble and fix, the chain to clean, the disc brakes to tweak, and also the rear derailleur to realign. That's for this evening, probably consuming the entirety of it, but which is good - lately, making my unpresence felt in the place of my dwelling has been the least offensive thing I can do.

No comments: