Friday, August 06, 2004

Tale of profound emotions

While completing the final formalities for my admission, I was asked to sit down while they slowly performed the issuing of my College Admission Card. So I did. And it was next to the guard, a 6-ish feet man, dark complexion and not very aggressive looking. I decided to start a conversation with him, and started by asking about the rifle he was holding. And I think I extracted enough info from him to tease my mind for next few days.
The guy was from a rural village. He, apparently was an important figure in the local village authority. In India, you have Panchayati Raj in rural areas. Under that, each village selects its representative, or the "Sarpanch" from among themselves. He takes care of workings of his/her(its mostly male) village. A community of people gathers at a designated place regularly in case of development proposals, acts of misconduct by certain group, festivals, or just some nice chitchatter. An aggreagation of Sarpanch from all the villages holds regular meetings with the government-appointed head of the district to discuss the activities and request for reforms. You get the working now.
So, the guard told me he had served jail for 9 months for being an apprentice in the murders committed in his village. All the movie scripts, where I had seen such events rushed back and forth in my head.My mind instantly came out with different plots under which he could have done this, usually him being a raging maniac. By his story was very touching. He told me, in a low voice: "I was forced to resort to colour my hands with human blood. I had seen the gruesome death of my friends in front of my eyes. I had seen their burnt houses. When they put a gun to my head, me being one of many in the center of the circle of gun-wielding landlord's minions, I had begged for mine and my family and friends' lives. I fell on the feet of the landlord, his wife, his sons, but to no avail. Their perverse desires couldn't be stopped. I and other people decided to fight back, and had to kill to stop the killing. Then police came and jailed me. They ordered me to stay of my village for an indefinite time period."
It was apparent that he had been a part of some massacare, which usually goes unnoticed in the media because of lack of sources. The rich still have big hand in everything regarding their village, almost as if they are kings. And when they feel their grip is slowly getting loose, they resort to such acts to remind the poor farmer of their power. The landlord system was abolished long time ago in India, but not all abide by it, even now.
He told me further, that he had no intentions of serving as a bodyguard as it involoved lots of feet-licking of the incumbent. He had already threatened his secutiry company employer once that if he treats him like trash, he'd have no hesitation in making a hole through his head. I'd say thats the way to establish yourself as a brave, self-respecting individual if anybody soils your ego. He was planning to go back to his village to his family in near future and start a better life.
All my luck to him. By the time our conversation had finished, my name was called by the office peon, and I walked out with my admission slip, and said to him "Monday ko milte hain" ("see you on monday"), to which he replied back with a pleasing smile.

No comments: